Guided Historic Walking Tour

  • Hillsborough Visitor's Center 150 East King Street Hillsborough, NC, 27278 United States

Led by one of the Alliance for Historic Hillsborough’s expert tour guides, this tour begins at the late eighteenth century Quaker farmhouse known as the "Alexander Dickson House", which once served as the headquarters of Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston in the closing days of the Civil War and now serves as the Hillsborough Visitor's Center and offices for the Alliance for Historic Hillsborough. The tour continues throughout the downtown historic district, making stops at several important sites which often include the Hughes Academy – a 19th Century one-room school house; the Regulator Marker – hanging site of six colonial protesters; the Old Town Cemetery – burial ground of many notable Hillsborough residents, including a US Senator, NC Governor, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence; the Nash-Hooper House – former home of Revolutionary War General Francis Nash; and the 1823 built Eagle Masonic Lodge, which was designed by state architect William Nichols and constructed by local builders Samuel Hancock and John Berry.

Tickets are $5 per person and free for children 12 and under. Please call to RSVP (919)732-7741.